Saturday, August 5, 2023

charm on my table

I was waiting for my coffee at Barista in a marketplace famous among college goers. I go there once in a while. It's important and almost a monthly ritual for me. The mad crowd and the eclectic colours in shops and on footpaths and in stalls madden me about life in general, about living the way I lived in my teens, about dreams that stay and grow stronger day by day. I go there to also pick up fashion trends and become a teenager again - 19, not sweet sixteen.
The dreamy years of my life go on the Nineteen at the slightest hint of a purple hair clip or a baby pink bandana or velvet green hairbands and sunflower yellow in t-shirts, shorts and shoes.
And, then, after picking up random stuff from stalls and shops alike, I almost always step into the local Barista for a coffee.
Last Sunday, I was waiting for my coffee. Around me were couples holding hands, sharing jokes, looking into eyes. Cute, I still do this stuff and much more, I thought.
I mean - touch is such a wondefrful blessing to humans - on the cold shoulders in winter or the waist or the cheeks. And many such `frozen' places. Just a warm hand across my back could beat a hot stone massage. And, only love can bring such privileges. Or else, I wonder what does one get out of encounters? Drop your pants and vrroooom! Eeeks, must be very cold and disgusting...!
But the love around me - the puppy love- doesn't convince me most often. How long will they last? I can not help and ask myself and my heart aches. Staying in love, my ex-boss told me recently, was true happiness when i told him `falling in love' was. I conceded: yes, falling and staying in love must be that feeling which just makes the world go round.
In my thoughts, I had completely forgotten the coffee when a guy walked up to me. I almost mistook him to be one of the Barista guys but oh, he wasn't. He placed the tray on my table as I struggled to say `thank you' when he looked at me and said: ``Perhaps a 5 rupee tip for this will do.'' I couldn't help smiling!
I had ordered fat-free banana muffin too but I had forgotten again. Trust me, not intentionally at all.. I was just so so so overwhelmed by this guy's gesture that I kept sipping my coffee and thinking: ``is it not Delhi?''
I wondered several times over and he was at my table again, this time with the muffin. His friend was smiling and I almost shivered: ``does he want to ask me out?''
I could barely say `thank you' and he was gone, to another table.
He must have been 24, very good-looking and I can vouch for this, he had a lovely heart.
And, I must be blessed to have spent a moment like this in my life.

No comments:

So it came back, like a torrent rising from within, not letting her breathe, not letting her live. She thought she could be the sea, the mas...