Sunday, February 15, 2015

Usne Kaha Tha

Usne Kaha Tha comes back to me after years. In class VIII, the first chapter in the Hindi textbook was a story from Guleri ji - Usne Kaha Tha. It began with a boy asking a girl: ``Mujhse kudmai karegi?'' Kudmai is Punjabi for `engagement'. The girl runs off, and years later, the boy is battling for life in the battlefield. That is when he remembers the childhood love and narrates it to a fellow soldier. As it turns out, the girl is now married to one of his seniors in the regiment. The boy eventually succumbs to his injuries.
I do not exactly remember the lines or how the story closed, but the pathos still evokes a cry in heart. How, as a 12-year-old, I had taken this as my first lesson in ever-lasting love and shed a tear or two. I had felt love and I had known love without being in love. Since then, literature has fascinated my being. It helped me feel all the love in the world when I wasn't dating guys or even thought much about love. But love seeped in quietly as a rocksolid belief. That's why I also believe I love the right man.

6 comments:

abhay said...

THIS IS THe SWEETEST LOVE STORy...I LIKE IT VERY MUCH..

Abhishek Guha said...

yeah. I have also read this story by Chandradhar Sharma Guleri ji in class 8. That time, it was just a chapter in the syllabus of Hindi Literature. But now when I look back & try to remember the story, the glimpses of the extracts from within the story still come to my mind - how the boy & the girl met at a general store,he was on a vacation to his materal uncle's house & the girl came at the shop to buy something for her uncle; how they later met when situations were completely changed; he was a soldier & the girl was his senior's wife, who took promise from him, that if he had loved her truly even once, he will protect her husband in the battlefield, no matter what happens. The man kept his promise, saved the woman's husband, but lost his life - for his love.

Nice blog @Pall Sin. There is also a movie by the same title, lossely based on this story, starring Sunil Dutt & Nanda. USNE KAHA THA[1960]

Abhishek Guha said...

@pall sin.. Sorry for spelling errands. Ignore please.

PallSin said...

Thanks.. :) I will try and watch the movie.

Unknown said...

ya was a haert touching story
:'( :'(

Betuke Khyal said...

Bimal Roy made a movie on this beautiful story of Pandit Guleri. The film featured the graceful Sadhna and a song written by makhdoom 'Jane wale sipahi se poochho'...

So it came back, like a torrent rising from within, not letting her breathe, not letting her live. She thought she could be the sea, the mas...